A Seasonal Guide to Healthy Eating
Commemorating 50 years of School Lunch
1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook over low heat till tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the lentils.
2. Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes (or microwave).
3. Cut the bottom 2 inches of F the asparagus. Rinse the asparagus in cold water. Remove the fresh peas from their shells (optional).
4. Steam asparagus, peas, and corn for 3 minutes. Remove and run cold water over to stop the cooking process.
5. For dressing Combine the chopped parsley chopped garlic, vinegar and mustard in a mixing bowl. Mix together with a whisk, add the oil in a slow, steady stream.
6. Combine the lentils, potatoes, asparagus, peas, corn and carrots. Toss with dressing. Serve.
Nutrients per serving
Where does milk come from? Visit a farm or dairy. Show your children milk or ice cream before it's in a package.
Make your own fruit yogurt dessert. Drain yogurt to make a thick cream in the refrigerator using a coffee filter in a cup. Stir in puréed fruit or jam for a nutritious and inexpensive snack.
Food, Family & Fun Main Page
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1995 and 1999.
Copyright © 1994-2008, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1994-2019,