A Seasonal Guide to Healthy Eating
Commemorating 50 years of School Lunch
Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef until no signs of pink remain.
2. Drain fat from beef and discard. Return beef to stovetop.
3. Add 1/4 cup taco seasoning mix and 1/2cup water to cooked beef and stir to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. In a bowl, combine salsa, tomato paste, water and taco seasoning mix.
5. Cut tortillas in halves (14 half-tortillas) and assemble:
In a lightly greas 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan, lay 5 half-tortillas
Spread 1/2 cup of the salsa mixture on top of the tortillas. Distribute 1-1/2 cups of the cooked meat mixture evenly over the salsa. Top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
Lay 4 half-tortillas on top of the cheese. Repeat as for first layer, using the remainder of the, salsa meat mixture, and cheese.
Lay 5 half-tortillas on top of the cheese. Spread the remainder of the salsa mixture on top of the tortillas and sprinkle remainder of cheese evenly over top.
6. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Allow pie to rest for 5 minuters before portioning. Cut pie into 12 pieces.
Nutrients per serving
Calories 268 Saturated fat 4.0 g Iron 3.3 mg
Protein 20 g Cholesterol 44 mg Calcium 141 mg
Carbohydrate 22 mg Vitamin A 114 RE Sodium 345 mg
Total Fat 11.2 g Vitamin C 7 mg Dietary Fiber 2 g
Balance is the key to choosing a lower fat diet. You don't have to give up all high fat foods. It's your average intake over a few days, not a single food or even a single meal that's important. Learn which foods are high in fat and which are low in fat. Eat fewer high fat food choices or eat them less often.
Food, Family & Fun Main Page
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1995 and 1999.
Copyright © 1994-2008, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 1994-2021,