with Parmigiano-Reggiano Wedges
The classic combination of pears and Parmigiano-Reggiano makes a rich finish to a meal. For a simpler version omit the Grand Marnier and orange zest.
- 2 ripe but firm Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 4 small Parmigiano-Reggiano wedges
Toss the pears and sugar together gently in a bowl.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the pears and cook over medium high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sugar begins to caramelize to a light golden color. Do not let the sugar turn brown.
Add the Grand Marnier and orange zest. Cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until slightly reduced.
Transfer the mixture to serving dishes and serve immediately, with the Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side. Serves 4.
by Pamela Sheldon Johns
1997, Ten Speed Press
Reprinted by permission
Buon Natale: Christmas Eve Italian Style
- Caramelized Pears with Parmigiano-Reggiano Wedges
- Caramelized Roasted Vegetables
- Chestnut and Ricotta Semifreddo
- Christmas Baccala with Potatoes and Olives
- Emilio's Parmigiano-Reggiano Frico Cornucopias
- Ravioli Nudi
- Squab with Roasted Pear and Garlic
- Tattooed Potatoes with Rosemary
- About the Books:
Copyright © 1997, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created 1997 and modified November 2006.