English Mincemeat Pies
- eight 2-1/2 inch pie shells
- 1-1/2 cups mincemeat
Mincemeat Filling (yields 3 qts)
- 1/2 lb beef suet, chopped fine
- 4 cups seedless raisins
- 2 cups dried currants
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped candied citron
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped candied orange peel
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped candied lemon peel
- 4 cups coarsely chopped, peeled and cored cooking apples
- 1 & 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 & 1/2 cups brandy
- 1 cup dry sherry
Combine the suet, raisins, currants, almonds, citron, figs, orange peel, lemon peel, apples, sugar, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves in a large mixing bowl and stir them together thoroughly.
Pour in the brandy and the sherry and stir with a large spoon until all the ingredients are moist.
Cover the bowl and set the ingredients aside in a cool place (do not refrigerate) for at least 3 weeks. Check the mixture each week and replenish the absorbed liquor with more brandy and sherry, using about 1/4 cup each time.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place about 3 tbsp of mincemeat into each pastry shell and cover with sheet of pastry, crimping the edges with a fork.
Place the stuffed pies on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Let pies cool then remove from tin and serve with whipped cream or Brandy Butter.
"Christmas: The Global Celebration" Recipes
- Anoush Abour (Armenian Sweet Soup)
- Roast Stuffed Suckling Pig
- English Mincemeat Pies
- Brandy Butter
- Christmas Plum Pudding
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007