Remember that this needs to cool before using it.
- Oil or butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry wine (red or white)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce can)
- Salt and pepper
1. Briskly sauté the onion in a little oil or butter until it starts to brown around the edges. Then add the mushrooms. Stir until they are cooked, even sticking to the pan and browning.
2. Add the wine and scrape up the stuck bits. Cook most of the wine away then add the tomatoes and a little salt and pepper. Simmer off the wateriness—you want this to be juicy, but not runny.3. Let it cool at least to room temperature.
Both chef and musician, John Ryan wrote the Just Good Food blog from 1996 through 2001.
This page created 1997. Modified August 2007.