Leek and Mushroom Strudel
The strudel is scented with 3 herb seeds: anise, fennel, and caraway.
- Butter-flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds cleaned leeks (white part only), sliced
- 1 pound sliced shiitake, or portobello, mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Canned Vegetable Stock
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 5 sheets frozen fillo pastry, thawed
1. Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté onion and garlic 2 to 3 minutes. Add leeks, mushrooms, stock, and herbs to skillet; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Cook, uncovered, until excess liquid is gone, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and white pepper; cool.
2. Lay 1 sheet of fillo on clean towel on table; spray generously with cooking spray. Cover with second sheet of fillo and spray generously with cooking spray; repeat with remaining fillo.
3. Spoon vegetable mixture along edge of fillo, 3 to 4 inches from the edge. Fold edge of fillo over filling and roll up, using towel to help lift and roll; place seam side down on greased cookie sheet. Spray top of fillo generously with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 375 degrees until golden, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Cut strudel into 4 pieces and arrange on plates.
O/ Calories from fat: 4
Fat (gm): 1.2
Saturated fat (gm): 0.2
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 66
Protein (gm): 5.8
Carbohydrate (gm): 52.5
1,001 Healthy Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes
by Sue Spitler
with Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
Surrey Books, $19.95
852 pages; June 1, 1997
Recipes and photos reprinted by permission.
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison
Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons
1,001 Healthy Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes, by Sue Spitler
Real Vegetarian Thai, by Nancie McDermott
- Butternut Squash in Fresh Green Curry
- Eggplant and Red Sweet Peppers in Roasted Chili Paste
- Roasted Chili Paste
The Vegetarian Table Series: Thailand, by Jacki Passmore
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007