Canned Vegetable Stock
A quick and easy solution for stock when you haven't the time or inclination to start from scratch.
makes about 1-1/2 quarts
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large ribs celery, cut into 1 -inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine, or water
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Pepper, to taste
1. Sauté onions, leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic in oil in Dutch oven 5 minutes. Add broth and remaining ingredients, except pepper, and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
2. Strain, pressing lightly on vegetables to extract all juices; discard solids. Season with pepper. Cool; refrigerate or freeze.
% Calories from fat: 11
Fat (gm): 0.8
Saturated fat (gm): 0. 1
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 55
Protein (gm): 0.8
Carbohydrate (gm): 6.7
1,001 Healthy Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes
by Sue Spitler
with Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
Surrey Books, $19.95
852 pages; June 1, 1997
Recipes and photos reprinted by permission.
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison
Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons
1,001 Healthy Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes, by Sue Spitler
Real Vegetarian Thai, by Nancie McDermott
- Butternut Squash in Fresh Green Curry
- Eggplant and Red Sweet Peppers in Roasted Chili Paste
- Roasted Chili Paste
The Vegetarian Table Series: Thailand, by Jacki Passmore
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007