Purée of Lentils with Smoked Sausage
Serving Size: 8
Preparation Time: 1:30
- 8 oz. bacon or ham fat—chopped
- 2 large onions—chopped
- 4 stalks celery—chopped
- 2 cups leek white and light green parts—washed
- 1 cup carrots—chopped
- 1/2 head garlic—peeled and chopped
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 qts white stock
- 1 lb lentils, soaked overnight in water
- 1 each smoked ham hocks—or smoked neck bones
- 1 lb kielbasa or frankfurters
- sauté the bacon or ham fat and brown it well. If it is
not well browned it will turn an ugly white.
- Peel and dice or chop the mirepoix vegetables and garlic.
- sauté the mirepoix to brown it lightly. Add the tomato
purée and cook a while longer. This soup needs the color
from the tomatoes.
- Add the liquid, then the lentils that have been picked over for
stones and soaked overnight in water.
- Bring to the boil, add the ham hock, smoked neck bones or
whatever smoked goodies you have.
- Cook until everything is soft. If it gets too thick, add stock
or water. Remove the bones, and dice any meat or skin for a
- Add the sliced smoked sausage of your choice, as abundantly as
you like. Simmer a while.
- Season to taste. Garnish. Garlic Croutons are very good with
this but you have to hide them till the last minute, or people will
nb. Before you work with the lentils, smell
them to make sure there is not a musty odor, and check them for
Notes: Lentils are penny for penny, your best
buy for protein, and with a little meat in the soup are very
sustaining, I add some tomato product to brighten the color. You
don't have to purée this soup, you can serve it with some
lentils intact. Just add only half the lentils, wait a half hour
and add the rest and cook till tender. The ones you added first
will "mush" by themselves. If this looks like I wrote it on top of
the purée of pea recipe, you are getting the right idea. The
technique and most ingredients are identical. I would tell my
students,"Make it just like purée of peas, only add a little
tomato product for color." Having taught them the first, I expected
them to adapt to the second, to show understanding.
Steve's #20 Recipes:
About Making Soups
- Cream of White Mirepoix Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Cream of Cauliflower and Pea
- Cream of Potato and Leek
- Bean and Bacon Soup
- Purée of Peas with Ham
- Purée of Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007