Chili Con Queso Soup
This cheese soup has all the best of the Mexican flavors in it. Perfect for a light supper or a weekend lunch. Serve it with fresh corn chips and a simple green salad.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon powdered red chiles
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 3 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 roasted, peeled and diced green chiles (Anaheim or poblano*)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart milk or low-fat milk
- 2-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- 3 green onions, chopped fine
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. sauté the onions over medium heat until they begin to soften, then add the garlic, cumin and powdered red chiles. Cook 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook another 3 minutes.
Stir in the broth and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and slowly add the milk. Heat the milk on low just until bubbles start to form around the edges. Slowly add the grated cheeses, a little bit at a time, stirring constantly. Do not let the soup boil.
As soon as the cheese has melted stir in the diced green chiles. Pour the warm soup into bowls and garnish with the chopped tomato and green onions. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
* A 7-ounce can of chopped, roasted green chiles may be substituted.
Global Gourmet Recipes
©1994, Katherine Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007