Vamanos! Zesty Frijole Cups
"Vamanos! Let's go, muchachos y muchachas! Time to wake up!"
We all love the robust flavors of a Mexican breakfast. with our original "Bake 'n' Take" frijole cups, you and your family can eat a nutritious hot breakfast on the way to work or school—a breakfast that tastes great and takes only minutes to make. Baking time is 15 minutes, but it takes less than 5 minutes to put from one to a dozen of these savory breakfast cups together.
To bake this bean and egg meal, you'll need disposable foil muffin cup liners. You can find them in the grocery aisle near the flour and other baking ingredients, next to the standard paper liners. The foil ones hold their shape and better retain the heat, costing only a few cents. Be sure to remove the paper divider liners between each foil cup before filling.
Time: 20 minutes total, but less than 5 minutes labor. (Allow more time if your oven preheats slowly.)
Makes 3 muffin cups. To make more, double or triple the recipe as needed.
- 3 foil muffin cup liners
- non-stick spray
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons canned refried beans, preferably no-fat
- 2 green onions, chopped
- grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the muffin liners in the perimeter cups of a muffin pan, or on a baking sheet. Spray the insides of the liners with non-stick coating.
3. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, refried beans, and green onions until the eggs and beans have blended together (it does not have to be perfect).
4. Pour the mixture into each of the muffin liners and then top each with a spoonful of salsa and a bit of grated cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the "muffins" have set.
You may eat immediately or wrap in foil to keep warm for a portable breakfast on the go.
Be inventive: add more or different seasonings as desired. A sprinkle of chile powder or ground cumin makes this recipe even better, and you can also use half the egg called for and replace it with a tablespoon of cream cheese and a spoonful of wheat germ or other ingredients.
- Parents & Kids: This Book's For You!
- Bake 'n Take eGG English Muffins
- Vamanos! Zesty Frijole Cups
- 5-Minute Maple-Baked Apples with Sausage
- Overnight Strata
- Paintbox Tuna Salad
- Japanese Omelet Roll
- Fresh Herb, Rice & Bean Salad
- 25 Tips for Better Brown Bags
This is an edited and updated archive of pages originally published in 1997.
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Modified August 2007