Red Cabbage with Apple
The simplicity of this dish makes it perfect paired with roast pork or chicken. Look for cabbage at bargain prices year-round. It's a healthy food that's as good cooked for hearty winter meals as it is raw for light summer dishes.
For a richer dish, add a few teaspoons of butter when cooking. Add a discrete pinch of caraway seed if desired. This dish is meant to be uncomplicated and simple.
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, optional for garnish
Put all ingredients, except parsley, in a large pan. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until cabbage is soft. Serve with parsley sprinkled on top.
The $5 Chef Family Cookbook
$12.00 / paperback
Reprinted by permission.
Visit the Cooking with Kids website.
Copyright © 1997—the electronic Gourmet Guide, Inc. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007