Spinach Salad, Bacon Dressing,
Pennsylvania Dutch Style
- 1 10 oz bag of Spinach Washed—Tear bite sized
- 1 portobello mushroom—sliced thin
- 1/2 sweet, red onion —sliced thin
- 2 tbs bacon drippings
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 each egg
- pepper white
- vinegar white
- 2 tbs cream
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Wash spinach in three changes of water, drain and spin
- Tear leaves into bite sized pieces, and combine in a bowl with
sliced mushroom and onion.
- Cook bacon, reserving slices.
- Add flour to the fat to make a roux.
- Add water, bring to boil and stir with a wooden spoon to
- Beat an egg, and beat hot dressing into egg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add vinegar first, to make it sour, to taste
- Add sugar to make it sweet, to taste
- Add cream, and reseason if needed
- Add crumbled bacon, and more bacon grease for flavor, to
Pour the finished still hot dressing over the spinach or lettuce
in a bowl, cover it and allow the dressing to wilt the salad.
Toss well and serve.
Notes: This dressing is served hot to warm over
lettuce, or in this case, spinach and mushrooms, and is covered, to
allow it to wilt the greens
Steve's #19 Recipes
- Chef Salad with California Blue Cheese Dressing
- Caesar Salad
- Tomatoes with Sweet Onions and Basil
- Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- Spinach and Mushrooms with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Cubanaise: Slices of Avocado, Mango, Grapefruit, Vinaigrette with Tricolor Confetti of Peppers*
- Panama Salad, a Hemisphere of Orange and Grapefruit on a Slice of Pineapple. Citrus Rum Dressing with Berries.
- Gulfport Salad: Fantail Shrimp and Scallops, Crab Meat, Hard Cooked Eggs, Curried Mayonnaise*
- Salad Doctor
- Chickpea Salad
- Tortellini Primavera
* repeated from previous issues
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007