- 1/3 head Lettuce curly red or green—washed leaves
- 1/2 head Lettuce Iceberg—shredded
- 1 large Tomato beefsteak—Sliced thin, halved
- 2 each eggs hard cooked—quartered
- 1/2 lb Shrimp Fantail Large—cooked and peeled
- 1 dz Oysters on halfshell—or Clams halfshell
- 1 lb Mussels, half shell—poached
- 1/2 lb Crabmeat Lump—pick out shell
- 2 each Lemons—cut in wedges
- 1/4 bunch parsley—stems removed
- 1/4 cup capers
- Assortment of Dressings*
On a bed of curly lettuce on a large glass plate, place a center of shredded iceberg lettuce. Arrange thinly sliced half moons of tomato and eggs to frame the iceberg.
Arrange shrimp, oysters, mussels, crabmeat, or any other cooked seafood in a symmetrical fashion, and garnish with lemon wedges on a bed of parsley. Add a tablespoon of capers to the dish in little heaps.
*Serve with an assortment of dressings to include:
These recipes will be given separately. The different shellfish in this dish, need different sauces, which is why three are offered.
This recipe bears a general resemblance to the original, but diverges considerably. It should be evident that this recipe is a sampler of all the most popular seafood cocktails.
Notes: Is this a salad, an appetizer or a light lunch? You pays your money and you takes your choice....
Steve's #19 Recipes
- Tomatoes with Sweet Onions and Basil
- Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- Spinach and Mushrooms with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Cubanaise: Slices of Avocado, Mango, Grapefruit, Vinaigrette with Tricolor Confetti of Peppers*
- Panama Salad, a Hemisphere of Orange and Grapefruit on a Slice of Pineapple. Citrus Rum Dressing with Berries.
- Gulfport Salad: Fantail Shrimp and Scallops, Crab Meat, Hard Cooked Eggs, Curried Mayonnaise*
- Salad Doctor
* repeated from previous issues
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1994 and 1998. Modified August 2007
Copyright © 1995, 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.