- 1 #1 can of Chickpeas—Drain and rinse
- 3 cloves garlic—chopped
- 2 tbl parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Sauce Vinaigrette
- parsley sprigs
Mix all ingredients and let stay overnight to marry flavors. Some parsley sprigs to decorate this simple salad.
This is an example of a simple bean salad. If it were green beans I would leave out the garlic and add some chopped onion and pimento for color.
You can make hundreds of salads like this, using leftovers and a good Sauce Vinaigrette. Many is the time I have had a trifle of smoked meat, like ham and diced it and added it to this salad.
Are you shocked that I used canned beans? I've been using them for years, and Goya is my favorite brand, but the A&P Masterchoice brand is good too.
Do I cook my own beans, ever? Only if I have a ham bone I don't know what to do with, but mostly they become soup because I love bean soup.
To Cook Beans.
Pick them over for stones and rinse well in a colander.
Cover them with cold water, bring to a boil and let stay overnight.
Cover them with stock or water, add diced onion, garlic, carrot, and a ham bone, bring to boil and simmer tender, often within an hour, if they are to be cooked in another dish.
Steve's #19 Recipes
- Tomatoes with Sweet Onions and Basil
- Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- Spinach and Mushrooms with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Cubanaise: Slices of Avocado, Mango, Grapefruit, Vinaigrette with Tricolor Confetti of Peppers*
- Panama Salad, a Hemisphere of Orange and Grapefruit on a Slice of Pineapple. Citrus Rum Dressing with Berries.
- Gulfport Salad: Fantail Shrimp and Scallops, Crab Meat, Hard Cooked Eggs, Curried Mayonnaise*
- Salad Doctor
* repeated from previous issues
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007