- 1 head lettuce red leaf curly—bite sized
- 1/2 package mesclun or spring salad (2 oz)
- 1 each cucumber kirby—sliced
- 1/4 each peppers sweet (red, yellow, green)—diced
- 4 slices onion sweet red
- 1 each carrot—peeled and shredded
- 4 each scallions—sliced thin
- 2 oz Swiss cheese—julienned
- 2 oz Ham—julienned
- 2 oz Turkey Breast—julienned
- 1 each Tomato, beefsteak—cut in 8
- 2 each eggs large hard boiled—quartered
- 4 oz bleu cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup Sour Cream Heavy or Mayonnaise or Yogurt
- 1 each Grapefruit—juice only
- Wash and tear the lettuce into bite size pieces, add the spring salad mix and spin dry.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss well in a large bowl. Of course the list given can be altered at will. (I secretly like iceberg lettuce in this salad, force of habit).
- Top with julienned meats, decorate with tomato and hard boiled egg wedges.
- Prepare the dressing by crumbling the bleu cheese into the base of choice (I like Heavy Sour Cream, but my wife likes lowfat sour cream or yogurt) and thinning it to desired consistency by adding freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. If you like blue cheese dressing, this will become your favorite!
Notes: This old standby is a long time favorite of many, and with some crusty bread, makes a great lunch. You can vary the ingredients at will.
Steve's #19 Recipes
- Tomatoes with Sweet Onions and Basil
- Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- Spinach and Mushrooms with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Cubanaise: Slices of Avocado, Mango, Grapefruit, Vinaigrette with Tricolor Confetti of Peppers*
- Panama Salad, a Hemisphere of Orange and Grapefruit on a Slice of Pineapple. Citrus Rum Dressing with Berries.
- Gulfport Salad: Fantail Shrimp and Scallops, Crab Meat, Hard Cooked Eggs, Curried Mayonnaise*
- Salad Doctor
* repeated from previous issues
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007