Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- 12 each asparagus peeled—and steamed
- 2 tablespoons Tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mirin (Sweetened Rice Vinegar)
- 8 drops Sesame Oil—to taste
- 1 slice ginger peeled—and shredded fine
- 2 shakes Shichimi Togarashi , Red Pepper mix
- 4 each shallots—diced fine
- 4 oz silken tofu—in slices or batons
- 1/2 head Lettuce Boston—Leaves as a base
- 1/2 bunch watercress—as a frame
- Sesame seeds—lightly toasted
- Goma (Black Sesame Seeds)
- Peel the asparagus for the last third of their length and steam them briefly, so they are crisp and green, and cool them right away. I use a dish with a little water and the asparagus, sealed with saran for about 1-1/2 minutes in the microwave oven. At the beginning of the season, I like thin pencil grass, and then I use twice as many, or more. When we get into the jumbo grass, three per salad will do.
- Prepare a dressing of the tamari, mirin, and sesame oil to taste, ginger, Shichimi and shallots. The sesame oil has a very strong smoky taste, so use it with care, but don't under use it either. This dressing is a balance of flavors, salty, acid, sweet, pungent and smoky in that order. If you don't have shallots, chives or scallions will do, shredded fine.
- Marinate the asparagus for an hour or more. Slice the tofu and hold it in ice water.
- Lay a bed of Boston or any tender lettuce on the plate. Lay the asparagus on it, intertwine them with slices of tofu, ice cold, and frame them with watercress.
- Pour some of the marinade over each dish, with only a little on the tofu .
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (tan) and goma (black) in a decorative way, but don't over do it.
Steve's #19 Recipes
- Tomatoes with Sweet Onions and Basil
- Asparagus with Sesame Oil and Shallots
- Spinach and Mushrooms with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Cubanaise: Slices of Avocado, Mango, Grapefruit, Vinaigrette with Tricolor Confetti of Peppers*
- Panama Salad, a Hemisphere of Orange and Grapefruit on a Slice of Pineapple. Citrus Rum Dressing with Berries.
- Gulfport Salad: Fantail Shrimp and Scallops, Crab Meat, Hard Cooked Eggs, Curried Mayonnaise*
- Salad Doctor
* repeated from previous issues
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007