Tomatoes and the Well-Stocked Pantry
The reluctant cook will find these tomato products significantly ease the pain of putting together a meal at the last minute.
- Ground (or Crushed) Tomatoes: Perfect for a quick soup or spaghetti sauce
- Tomato Sauce: Essential in many simple soups and sauces
- Double Concentrated Tomato Paste in a Tube: Much less troublesome than a can of tomato paste, half of which invariably goes to waste, and so easy to use.
The culinary enthusiast will want to have these tomato products available at all times, to serve not just as ingredients for familiar recipes but as a bit of inspiration when you can't decide what to cook. If you preserve your own tomatoes, substitute them for the products listed here.
- Canned Tomatoes: Whole in Juice; Diced; Chopped; Ground or Crushed; Strained; Sauce; Double Concentrated Paste
- Dried Tomatoes: Marinated Dried Tomatoes; Dried tomato purée in a tube; Dried Tomato Bits
- Other Tomato Products: Juice; Olive Oil flavored with Sun-dried Tomatoes
Copyright 1996 by Michele Anna Jordan, author of The Good Cook's Book of Tomatoes. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission.
The Good Cook's Online Guide to Tomatoes
- The Perfect Tomato
- What is a Tomato?
- Preserving the Harvest
- Commercial Tomatoes
- Commercial Tomato Products
- Tomatoes and Health
- Tomatoes in the Kitchen
- How to Peel a Tomato
- To Fix a Thin Sauce
- The Well Stocked Pantry
- About Michele Anna Jordan
- Tomato Granita with Serrano Peppers
- Tomato Bruschetta with Six Variations
- Tomato Toast
- Tomato Pie
- Tomato-Cilantro Soup
- Pasta with Uncooked Summer Tomato Sauce
- Baked Cherry Tomatoes
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Cream, Bacon, & Cilantro
- Sliced Tomato Salad with Ten Variations
- Quick Tomato Recipes
Check out Michele Anna Jordan's latest book: The World Is a Kitchen: Cooking Your Way Through Culture
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007