Grilled Tuna Steak with Three Mustards
Recipe By: Mark Brownstone
Serving Size: 2
Preparation Time: 0:15
- 1 lb tuna steaks, yellowfin—1/2 inch thick
- 1 tbl oil olive
- 1 tbl mustard Dusseldorf
- 1 tbl mustard Grey Poupon
- 1 tbl mustard French's
- 1/4 tsp pepper black—freshly ground
- Mix the olive oil, mustard and freshly ground pepper in a bowl.
- Add the tuna steaks, and marinate for 1 hour, refrigerated. If they are frozen, marinate 2 hours at room temp.
- Grill 3 minutes on a side for rare, 4 for done. If the steaks were frozen, they may take longer, in any event, cheat a little and check centers.
Notes: This is my cousin Mark's recipe. He likes his tuna seared on the outside, and rare throughout. He will spend a fortune on the deep red Bigeye tuna for this. Yellowfin doesn't look as pretty, but it tastes fine. Don't buy tuna that is brownish or chocolate in color. If the tuna is a nice red Tombo (Albacore) be sure to NOT overcook it, as Albacore cooks up very white, but dries out in a flash! This is odd, as Albacore can be rich in fat. By the way, it is not a mistake to grill an extra piece or two, as it makes a great cold salad. Of course, they may not make it to the refrig, if there are calls for "Seconds, please!" Cook the extra pieces until there is just a thin line of underdone in the center, to keep them juicy. Swordfish works just the same. Try the rich fatty shoulder cuts.
Steve's #17 Recipes:
- Grilled Tuna Steak with Three Mustards
- Salade Nicoise
- Vinaigrette Sauce
- Coconut Hoki
- Tempura Batter
- Sand Dabs Grenobloise
- Beefsteak Tomato and Onion Salad
- Smoked Red Snapper
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007