#1 Mediterranean Burger
Runner Up, 1996 Bays English Muffin Contest
by Wolfgang Hanau
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound grated or chopped figs and dates
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon strongly-flavored olive oil
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon dried mint, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 Bays English Muffins—split as needed:
olive oil and crushed, fresh garlic mixed.
In a bowl combine the beef, lamb, figs and dates, olive oil, paprika, thyme, oregano, mint and season to taste. Mix well but handle the mixture as little as possible to avoid compacting it. Divide into 8 equal portions the size of a Bays English Muffin.
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 8 ripe Mediterranean seedless olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 8 thin green pepper rings
In a grill with a cover, prepare a medium-hot fire for direct heat cooking. When the grill is ready, spray with olive oil and place patties on top. Cover and grill the burgers 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. During the last few minutes brush the cut side of the muffin with garlic oil and place, cut side down, the muffin on the grill. Toast lightly.
While the patties are on the grill, made a salad of tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, basil and pepper rings.
Place 1 generous tablespoon salad onto the bottom half of each grilled Bays English Muffin. Add the grilled burger patty, more of the salad and finally top half of the Bays English Muffin.
- Winner: Tunisian Turkey Burgers with Chick Pea Mayonnaise
Gary Smith (Sacramento, CA)
- First Runner Up: Garden Chicken Burger with Basil-Gorgonzola Salsa
Deborah McGuire (West Linn, OR)
- Pear and Jalapeño Turkey Burgers with Bacon, Tomato & Blue Cheese Salsa
Eileen Watson (Ovieto, FL)
- Macadamia Crusted Black Bean Burgers
Virginia Moon (Harvest, AL)
- Fresh Salmon-Havarti Burgers with Fennel Slaw
Virginia Anthony, (Jacksonville, FL)
- #1 Mediterranean Burger
Wolfgang Hanau (West Palm Beach, FL)
Provided by Bays English Muffins
More Burger Recipes
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007