Paella Sauté with Saffron
Clearly Inspired by the vibrant flavors of paella, I have served this to company for casual Saturday-night suppers, and they liked it as much as the far more complicated classic version.
Can Be Cooked In Under 30 Minutes
Use: Chicken-flavored Rice or Steamed Rice, preferably made with medium-grain rice.
- 3 ounces chorizo or other spicy smoked sausage, such as
linguica or andouille, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1-1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1-1/4 cups Homemade Fish Stock or 3/4 cup bottled clam juice
and 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot pepper sauce
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. In a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet, cook the chorizo with 2 tablespoons of water over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the water evaporates and the chorizo is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. with a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to paper towels to drain, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
2. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook, stirring often, just until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside with the sausage.
3. Add the oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the scallions, red pepper, and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in the peas, oregano, and saffron.
4. In a small bowl, combine the fish stock, wine, and crushed red pepper. Whisk in the cornstarch to dissolve. Stir into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Return the shrimp and chorizo to the skillet, and cook until the sauce thickens and the shrimp and chorizo are heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
5. Spoon the rice into individual soup bowls and top with the shrimp, sausage, and sauce. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Chicken Paella sauté: Substitute 1-1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into strips 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick, for the shrimp. Cook in the chorizo drippings in the skillet until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then set aside with the chorizo. Continue with steps 3, 4, and 5.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- On Rice
- 60 Fast and Easy Toppings that Make the Meal
- By Rick Rodgers
- Photographs by Frankie Frankeny
- Price: $16.95, paperback
- ISBN: 0-8118-1352-5
- Chronicle Books
- Reprinted by permission.
- About On Rice
- Kate's Global Kitchen: Paella
- Paella de la Casa
- Paella de Puerco y Espinaca (Pork and Spinach Paella)
- Filipino Paella with Shrimp and Chorizo
- Paella Sauté with Saffron
- Spanish Paella Valenciana
- Spanish Paella Recipe
- Weight Watcher's Paella
- Fiesta Paella with Chicken and Shellfish
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007