Makes 8 servings
Make this when tomatoes are in season, using the most fragrant ones you can find—or grow. For a fabulous, and unexpected, color, try it with yellow tomatoes. Serve this refreshing ice as an unexpected first course, between courses as a palate refresher or as a cooling treat on a hot day.
- 8 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lime slices and additional fresh cilantro sprigs, to garnish
1. In food processor or blender, combine tomatoes, pepper, onion, cilantro, juice, sugar, garlic and salt; purée until very smooth.
2. Place medium sieve over medium bowl. Strain tomato mixture through sieve, pressing with back of wooden spoon; discard solids. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
3. Transfer mixture to ice-cream maker; freeze, following manufacturer's directions. Serve garnished with lime slices and cilantro sprigs.
Serving (1/2 cup) provides:
2 -1/4 Vegetables
38 Calories, 1 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 82 mg Sodium, 9 g Total Carbohydrate, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 1 g Protein, 11 mg Calcium
Mexican Mary Variation
4. Add 1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons) tequila or gin before freezing; add 10 Optional Calories to Selection Information.
Per serving: 47 Calories, 1 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 82 mg Sodium, 9 g Total Carbohydrate, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 1 g Protein, 11 mg Calcium
Weight Watchers Slim Ways Mexican
Weight Watchers Light and Tasty Deluxe CD-ROM
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc.
Recipes copyright © Weight Watchers International, Inc., owner of the registered trademark.
All Rights Reserved.
Recipes & photos reprinted by permission.
Weight Watchers CD
- Chevre, Tomato and Basil Crostini
- Ratatouille Casserole
- Salsa Sorbet (and Mexican Mary variation)
- Spinach Pie
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1994 and 1998.
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Modified August 2007