Makes 4 servings
- 8 sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 ounces regular long-grain rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground red pepper
- 10 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 ounces turbot or catfish fillets, cut into 1 1/2 x 1" pieces
- 12 medium clams
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- 1 cup cooked artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 ounce cooked sweet or hot Italian pork sausage, thinly sliced
1. Place tomatoes into small bowl; add boiling water to cover. Let stand 20 minutes, until softened; drain, discarding liquid. Chop tomatoes; set aside.
2. In large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil; add onions, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, until onion is softened. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
3. Stir broth, saffron, salt and ground red pepper into onion mixture; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in shrimp, turbot, clams, peas, artichoke hearts, sausage and chopped tomatoes; cook, covered, 10 minutes, until shrimp turn pink, turbot flakes easily when tested with fork and clams open. Discard any unopened clams.
Serving (2 cups) provides:
1 Fat, 2 1/4 Vegetables, 2 1/4 Proteins, 2 Breads, 15 Optional Calories.
489 Calories, 15 g Total Fat, 3 g Saturated Fat, 139 mg Cholesterol, 469 mg Sodium, 55 g Total Carbohydrate, 6 g Dietary Fiber, 35 g Protein, 117 mg Calcium.
Weight Watchers New 365 Day Menu Cookbook
Weight Watchers Light and Tasty Deluxe CD-ROM
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc.
Recipes copyright © Weight Watchers International, Inc., owner of the registered trademark.
All Rights Reserved.
Recipes & photos reprinted by permission.
Weight Watchers CD
- Chevre, Tomato and Basil Crostini
- Ratatouille Casserole
- Salsa Sorbet (and Mexican Mary variation)
- Spinach Pie
- Kate's Global Kitchen: Paella
- Paella de la Casa
- Paella de Puerco y Espinaca (Pork and Spinach Paella)
- Filipino Paella with Shrimp and Chorizo
- Paella Sauté with Saffron
- Spanish Paella Valenciana
- Spanish Paella Recipe
- Weight Watcher's Paella
- Fiesta Paella with Chicken and Shellfish
This page originally published as part of the electronic Gourmet Guide between 1994 and 1998.
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Modified August 2007