Fresh Herb, Rice
& Bean Salad
I created this recipe as a way of using up leftover rice and was so happy with the results that I felt I had to include it here. The herb and vegetable flavors are fresh and light and mingle well together, yet each ingredient retains its own unique taste and texture. The sweetness of the kidney beans is contrasted by the tart and tangy pepperoncini peppers, and the entire collection of tastes and aromas is woven together in the fabric of the nutty brown rice.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, preferably brown basmati
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans (or one 8-3/4 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced into thin rings and quartered
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
Reheat the rice until just warmed through. Pour the warm rice in a mixing bowl and add all ingredients except for 1 tablespoon of the julienned basil and half of the grated cheese. Toss thoroughly.
Let the mixture sit anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour. Serve topped with the remaining basil and grated cheese and an extra crack of pepper.
©1994 -1997, Katherine Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007