Toasted Rice Soup
With Spinach and Parmesan Cheese
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 28 to 30 minutes
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 cups vegetable stock or canned broth
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rice in a shallow baking pan and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt, nutmeg, cayenne, vegetable stock, and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, Parmesan cheese, and lemon zest, simmer until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes longer, and serve.
365 Great Soups & Stews
by Georgia Chan Downard and Jean Galton
January 18, 1996
Reprinted by permission of the publisher.
Recipes From The Best of Clay Pot Cooking
Recipes From The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever
Recipes From 365 Great Soups & Stews
- Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- Creamy Mussel Soup with Saffron and White Wine
- Toasted Rice Soup with Spinach and Parmesan
Recipes From A Good Day For Soup
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007