- 2 lb Potatoes Red Bliss #2—peeled
- 1/2 cup oil or "red fat"
- 2 tbls caraway seed
- 4 tbs butter
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a roasting pan in a 400 degree F oven.
- Add the small peeled potatoes, and roast about an hour, till they are well browned and crisp on the outside, and tender inside. Be sure to shake the pan a few times during the process to brown potatoes evenly.
- Add the caraway seeds and butter, shake well to coat potatoes with butter and seeds, season with salt and pepper.
Red Fat is stock fat from brown stock that has had paprika, onions and garlic cooked with it. It is often strained from goulash.
Mixed with ground onions and garlic, it gives a wonderful flavor to roasting chickens, potatoes, etc. I also use it in making chopped liver.
Notes: Goes well with roasted and braised meats.
Steve's #13 Recipes:
- Hungarian Goulash
- Pork Chile con Carne with Sweet Potatoes
- Red Cabbage, Sweet and Sour
- Gypsy Potatoes
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007