Caribbean Chicken Soup with Bananas
This substantial soup rates rave review with my two children and all who taste it. Everyone comes back for more. Be sure to make you own spice mixture and serve the soup over banana slices for tropical island flavor.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 (49 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup converted white rice
- Caribbean Spice Mix (recipe follows)
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast strips (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
- In a 6-quart electric slow cooker, combine the onion, carrots, green and red pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, stock, corn, rice, and spice mix. Stir to blend well.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting 6 to 7 hours, or until the rice is tender. Stir in the chicken or turkey. To serve, add almost one-half banana to each soup bowl. Ladle the soup over the bananas and serve at once.
Caribbean Spice Mix: In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon Madras curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled, and a pinch of cayenne.
THE BEST SLOW COOKER COOKBOOK EVER
by Natalie Haughton
October 25, 1995
$17.95/concealed Wire-O binding
Reprinted by permission of the publisher.
Recipes From The Best of Clay Pot Cooking
Recipes From The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever
Recipes From 365 Great Soups & Stews
- Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- Creamy Mussel Soup with Saffron and White Wine
- Toasted Rice Soup with Spinach and Parmesan
Recipes From A Good Day For Soup
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007