Soft Polenta: Double-Boiler Technique
This technique produces flavorful polenta without a great deal of hands-on attention. Use it when you will be in the kitchen attending to other tasks.
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup coarse-ground polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Fill the bottom half of a double boiler with enough water so that it will touch the second half when it is inserted. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat, and keep the water at a simmer.
- Place the 4 cups of boiling water in the top portion of the double boiler, stir in the salt and polenta, and set it in the bottom half of the double boiler. Bring the water and polenta back to a boil, cover very tightly, and simmer over medium-low heat until the polenta is soft and tender. Every 20 minutes or so, remove the lid, and stir the polenta, using a long-handled wooden spoon. Continue this process, adding additional water as necessary, until the polenta is thick, tender, and pulls away from the sides of the pot, about 1-1/2 hours. Add the butter and cheese during the last 10 minutes of cooking. When it is done, remove the polenta from the heat, pour onto a large platter or bowl or into individual dishes, and serve immediately.
by Michele Anna Jordan
Copyright © 1997 Michele Anna Jordan.
Reprinted by permission.
- About Polenta
- The Basics of Polenta Cookery
- Polenta Before Corn
- Polenta Power
- About the Author: Michele Anna Jordan
Making Soft Polenta
Polenta Recipes (by Michele Anna Jordan)
- Soft Polenta with Walnuts and Gorgonzola
- Drunken Chicken with Olives and Polenta
- Pear Tart with a Polenta Crust
- Polenta Souffle with Chevre Cream
Additional Polenta Recipes
- Cornmeal Bread (Polenta)
- Olive Paste Polenta
- Polenta Lasagne with Spinach, Zucchini, Herbs, and Fontina
- Baby Greens with Blood Oranges and Sage-Prosciutto Polenta Croutons
- Stir-Grilled Root Vegetables with Asiago Polenta
- Polenta with Fontina Cheese and Marinated Tomatoes
- Polenta "Lasagne" with Smoked Mozzarella
- Creamy Polenta with Wild Mushrooms
- Martha Stewart's Polenta Stuffed Mushrooms
- Polenta Cake with Lemon and Raspberries
- Polenta with Skewered Meats Polenta con Osei
- Cicchetti Polenta with Onions and Sausage
- Polenta with Smoked Kangaroo and Parmesan
- Pork Tenderloin with Shiitake Mushrooms and Simple Polenta
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007