Polenta Souffle with Chevre Cream
While pursuing the history of polenta in southern France and
northern Italy, I had occasion to visit cooking teacher and writer
Lydie Marshall, whose book Chez Nous had just been published, in
her 12th century chateau in Nyons in the upper reaches of Provence.
I was charmed by her and her home, and found the book inspiring in
its direct approach to simple, good flavors. My recipe is adapted
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 cup half and half
- 1-1/2 cups spring water
- 2/3 cup yellow polenta, fine grind
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper in a mill
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 3 ounces young chevre
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Butter a 6-8 cup souffle dish and preheat an oven to 350
- In a heavy pan, combine the water and milk and bring it to a
boil. Whisk in the polenta, stirring constantly, and cook until the
polenta is the consistency of very thick cream, about 5-10 minutes
depending on the age and type of cornmeal. Season with the salt and
several turns of black pepper and remove from the heat.
- Mix the egg yolks into the polenta one at a time and beat the
egg whites until they form soft peaks. Using a rubber spatula,
gently fold half of the beaten egg whites into the polenta and when
they are well-incorporated, fold in the remaining egg whites Pour
the batter into the buttered souffle dish, place in the oven, and
bake for 30 minutes, until the souffle is lightly browned.
- While the souffle bakes, make the chevre cream by using a fork
to mix together the chevre and cream until smooth. Mix in the
chives, place in a small serving dish, and set aside until ready to
- Remove the souffle from the oven, place a spoonful of chevre
cream in the center, and serve immediately, with the remaining
chevre cream on the side.
by Michele Anna Jordan
Copyright © 1997 Michele Anna Jordan.
Reprinted by permission.
Making Soft Polenta
Polenta Recipes (by Michele Anna Jordan)
Additional Polenta Recipes
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007