Jade Green Fried Rice with Crabmeat
Serves 4 as a main course for lunch
I like to serve this as a luncheon dish accompanied by Water
Chestnut, Arugula and Endive Salad or a baby arugula salad.
- 2 cups medium- or short-grain white rice, washed and
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup corn or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 6 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup peeled, diced tomato
- 1/2 teaspoons coarse or kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker, following the manufacturer's
instructions. Set aside.
- Wash the spinach remove the stems and dry on paper towels.
Julienne the spinach finely, then dice into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet until hot and add the
garlic. Cook over high heat, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs and cook over medium heat until lightly set. Cook
for about 3 minutes. Stirring with chopsticks or a wooden spoon to
separate the eggs into small pieces, until they are golden brown
and you can smell their aroma. Add the scallions. Stir-fry for 2
- Add the cooked rice and the spinach and mix well; the spinach
should coat the rice and give it a green color.
- When the rice is hot, add the crabmeat, tomato, salt and pepper
to taste. Fold together carefully with a wooden spoon so as not to
break up the lumps of crabmeat. Serve as soon as the mixture is
Susanna Foo Chinese Cuisine
The Fabulous Flavors and Innovative Recipes of
North America's Finest Chinese Cook
by Susanna Foo
Photography by Louis B. Wallach
October 15, 1995
30 full-color photographs throughout
Susanna Foo Recipes
- Recipes for a Celebratory Home Menu
- Additional Recipes from Susanna Foo
- Susanna Foo and Chinese New Year
Chinese and Lunar New Year Handbook
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007