Lafitte's Pepper Seared Lamb Chops
The Creoles of New Orleans were great fanciers of lamb. When the Viala family left New Orleans to construct their plantation in Donaldsonville, their love for lamb accompanied them to this city. The old Viala Plantation is home to my Lafitte's Landing Restaurant today.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 12 lamb chops, 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup ground pink peppercorns
- 1/2 cup ground black peppercorns
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 2 cups demi-glace
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked spinach fettucine
Place the lamb chops on a large platter and evenly coat both sides with crushed peppercorns. Set aside. In a heavy bottom sauté pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Dust chops in flour, shaking off all excess. Sauté until golden brown on both sides or medium rare. Remove chops and set aside. Into the sauté pan, add onions, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary and thyme. Sauté three to five minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Remove the pan from the burner and add rum.
Note: Be careful as alcohol will ignite and burn a few minutes until the flame extinguishes itself.
Add demi-glace and whipping cream and season to taste using salt and pepper. Swirl the skillet above the burner until the demi-glace and cream are well incorporated. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce sauce until slightly thickened and return chops to pan. Heat two to three minutes and serve with hot fettucine.
Copyright 1994, Chef John D. Folse, CEC, AAC. All rights reserved. From his book "Plantation Celebrations." Photographs by Ron Manville of YUM, Inc. Reprinted with permission.
Guide to Louisiana and Creole Cuisine
- New Orleans: Our Cuisine
- Dooky Chase's Star Chef
- Graham Kerr's "Low-Fat Tuesday" Recipes
- Interview: Chef John Folse
- Chef John Folse's Tomato Basil Pie
- Chef John Folse's Cane River Pound Cake
- Lafitte's Pepper Seared Lamb Chops
- Roux's of the Game: Mardi Gras Recipes
- Commander's Palace Restaurant Recipes
- Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday
Modified March 2007