Off The Menu, Staff Meals from America's Top Restaurants by Marissa Guggiana includes recipes like Wild-Boar Ragu; Herb Biscuits with Cheese; Ricotta Pancakes with Roasted Applesauce; and Roasted Whole Croaker and Cabbage Slaw.
Makes 12 biscuits
Everyone should know how to make a biscuit. The baked cheese and herbs in these make them decadent beyond the pleasure of sopping up whatever liquid is in sight.
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs: rosemary, sage, chive, and/or chervil
- 2 sticks cold, cubed unsalted butter
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk, plus extra for topping
- 2 cups raw-milk cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and herbs. Add butter all at once, continuing to mix at low speed until the butter is well incorporated and the consistency of the mixture is pea sized. With the mixer still running, add buttermilk in a steady stream and mix only until it is just combined (about 5 seconds). Do not overmix.
Roll or pat out the dough on a floured surface to 1-1/2 to 2-inch thickness. Cut to desired size (an easy way to get a nice round biscuit is to use the opening of a drinking glass as a cookie cutter) as close together as possible to minimize scraps. Patch together scraps and cut again (the scrap biscuits will not be completely smooth on top). Chill for at least 15 minutes, until the butter is hard.
Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush them with buttermilk and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. A few minutes before they are finished baking, sprinkle cheese liberally over the biscuits and continue baking just until cheese has melted and the biscuits are golden brown (biscuits often don't change color very much on top, so be sure to check underneath for the golden-brown color). Serve warm.
Off The Menu
Staff Meals from America's Top Restaurants
- by Marissa Guggiana
- Welcome Books 2011
- Paperback, 288 pages, $40.00
- ISBN-10: 1599621029
- ISBN-13: 978-159962-102-9
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Off The Menu
- Herb Biscuits with Cheese
- Ricotta Pancakes with Roasted Applesauce
- Roasted Whole Croaker and Cabbage Slaw
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created January 2012