The Whole Hog Cookbook, Chops, Loin, Shoulder, Bacon, and All That Good Stuff by Libbie Summers includes recipes like Pork Belly Gyros with Mykonian Tzatziki Sauce; Spanish-Style Rioja Potatoes; and How To Prepare Hot Peppered Pickled Pig's Feet.
Spanish-Style Rioja Potatoes
Russets, Paprika, Chorizo
The only things I brought home from my first trip to Spain were a love letter and the biggest can of pimentón (smoked paprika) I could fit in my backpack. I still have the can that held the pimentón.
It's long since been empty of spice, but safe inside is the first, last, and only love letter I received from my Spanish admirer. The aftershave aroma has been replaced with a smoky memory.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small hot red pepper, cut in half
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup roughly chopped Spanish chorizo
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in the shallot, onion, and paprika. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the potatoes and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the red pepper, bell pepper, and 2 cups water. Stir and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the chorizo and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes. The cooking liquid will have the thickness of a sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bread for sopping.
The Whole Hog Cookbook:
Chops, Loin, Shoulder, Bacon, and All That Good Stuff
- by Libbie Summers
- Photography by Chia Chong
- Rizzoli New York 2011
- $30.00 US; Hardcover; 192 pages; 200 photographs
- ISBN-10: 0847836827
- ISBN-13: 978-0-8478-3682-6
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Pork Belly Gyros with Mykonian Tzatziki Sauce
- Spanish-Style Rioja Potatoes
- How To Prepare Hot Peppered Pickled Pig's Feet
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created November 2011