Vegan Holiday Kitchen, More Than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions by Nava Atlas includes recipes like Pumpkin or Squash Mini-Loaves; Red Quinoa Pilaf with Kale and Corn; and Moroccan-Flavored Tofu with Apricots and Olives.
Red Quinoa Pilaf
with Kale and Corn
8 or more servings
(use a soy-free bouillon cube)
This nutrition-packed side dish is so hearty that, with the addition of some beans, it could be a simple entrée. Black beans are a perfect fit for this.
- 1-1/2 cups red quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 3 cups prepared vegetable broth
or 3 cups water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, cut into strips,
or 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Combine the quinoa with 3 cups broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then cover and continue to simmer gently until the broth is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. If the quinoa isn't quite done, add an additional 1/2 cup broth (or water) and continue to cook until absorbed.
2. Strip the kale leaves away from the stems. Discard the stems, or slice them very thinly. Cut the kale leaves into narrow strips. Rinse well and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and saute over low heat until golden.
4. Add the kale, stir together, and cover; raise the heat to medium and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently for 4 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving bowl or casserole dish and serve at once, or cover until needed.
Vegan Holiday Kitchen
More Than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
- by Nava Atlas
- Sterling 2011
- Hardcover, 320 pages, $24.95
- ISBN-10: 1402780052
- ISBN-13: 978-1-4027-8005-9
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Pumpkin or Squash Mini-Loaves
- Red Quinoa Pilaf with Kale and Corn
- Moroccan-Flavored Tofu with Apricots and Olives
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created December 2011