Sunday Roasts, A Year's Worth of Mouthwatering Roasts, from Old-Fashioned Pot Roasts to Glorious Turkeys and Legs of Lamb by Betty Rosbottom includes recipes like Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Apples; Golden Cider-Roasted Turkey; and Pork Loin with a Blue Cheese Stuffing and Roasted Pears.
Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Apples
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Start-To-Finish Time: 35 minutes
Three unlikely cohorts—assertive Brussels sprouts, salty bacon, and sweet apples—combine to make this winning side dish. The humble sprouts acquire a surprising and delicious flavor when paired with the sauteed apples and bacon. Even the pickiest eaters will find this cold-weather vegetable tempting prepared this way.
- 1 lb/455 g Brussels sprouts
- Kosher salt
- 4 or 5 thick bacon slices (about 4 oz/115 g),
cut crosswise into 1/2-in/12-mm pieces
- 1-1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, halved,
cored, and cut into 1-in/2.5-cm cubes
- 1 -1/2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. Cut off and discard the bases from the Brussels sprouts, then halve the sprouts. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the sprouts and 2 tsp salt. Cook until the sprouts are tender but not mushy when pierced with a small, sharp knife, for 8 to 10 minutes or longer. (Cooking time can vary depending on the size of the Brussels sprouts.)
2. Drain the sprouts in a colander, then place them (still in the colander) under cold running water until completely cool. Pat them dry and set aside. (Brussels sprouts can be prepared 6 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)
3. Sauté the bacon in a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove it with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels/absorbent paper. Pour off and discard all but 2 tsp of the drippings in the pan. Return the pan to medium heat and add the butter. When hot, add the apples and cook, turning often, until softened and just lightly browned, for about 5 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and bacon to the frying pan. Stir and cook until all ingredients are heated through, for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt.
4. Mound the vegetables in a serving bowl and, if desired, sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
Serve With: This vegetable combo is good with roasted turkey, chicken, and pork. Try it with "Never Fail" Roast Turkey with Shallot Pan Gravy (page 102 of the book) or Crown Roast of Pork with Tarragon-Mustard Butter (page 52).
A Year's Worth of Mouthwatering Roasts,
from Old-Fashioned Pot Roasts to Glorious Turkeys and Legs of Lamb
- by Betty Rosbottom
- Photographs by Susie Cushner
- Chronicle Books 2011
- Paperback, 180 pages, $24.95
- ISBN-10: 0811879682
- ISBN-13: 978-0-8118-7968-2
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Sunday Roasts
- Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Apples
- Golden Cider-Roasted Turkey
- Pork Loin with a Blue Cheese Stuffing and Roasted Pears
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created December 2011