Tuscan Wheat Berry Soup
Makes 6 servings
Wheat berries provide great texture. I love the combination of white beans, rosemary and wheat berries in this rustic dish.
If you prefer not to use wine, purée the beans with a combination of the liquid from the can and chicken or vegetable broth.
Although cooking this soup on the Brown Rice cycle takes an hour longer, it's worth it for the superior results.
For information about rice cooker sizes, see page 13.
- Large rice cooker; fuzzy logic or on/off
- Blender or food processor
- 2 cans (each 14 to 19 oz/398 to 540 mL) cannellini (white kidney)
or other white beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine 250 mL
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 30 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion 250 mL
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary 10 mL
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery 375 mL
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups wheat berries, rinsed and drained 375 mL
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth 1.5 L
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place half the beans in blender and add wine; puree until smooth. Set aside.
2. Set the rice cooker for the Quick Cook or Regular cycle.
When the bottom of the bowl gets hot, add oil and swirl to coat. Saute garlic and onion for about 3 minutes or until onion is softened and translucent. Add rosemary and sauté for 1 minute. Add carrot and celery; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened.
3. Stir in bean purée, tomatoes, wheat berries and broth. Close the lid and reset for the Regular cycle. Set a timer for 1 hour. (Or reset for the Brown Rice cycle and set a timer for 2 hours.)
4. When the timer sounds, check to make sure wheat berries are tender. If necessary, continue cooking, checking for doneness every 5 minutes. Switch to the Keep Warm cycle. Stir in the remaining beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve immediately.
Substitute an equal amount of rye berries for wheat berries.
300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes
Also Including Legumes and Whole Grains
- by Katie Chin
- Robert Rose 2011
- Paperback; 400 pages; $27.95 CDN; $24.95 US
- ISBN-10: 0778802809
- ISBN-13: 9780778802808
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created November 2011