Makes 10 servings
1. Trim the lamb and separate it into individual muscles. Remove all interior fat and gristle. Cut the meat into long, thin strips, 1 by 4 by 1/8 in/3 by 10 cm by 3 mm.
2. To make the marinade, toast the cardamom and cumin lightly in a dry sauté pan. Add the nutmeg, onions, garlic, ginger, and pepper and toast until fragrant. Let cool. Add to the yogurt.
3. Pour the marinade over the lamb in a hotel pan and turn to coat evenly. Marinate the lamb, covered, in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat the grill. Thread the lamb onto metal skewers and allow the excess marinade to drain away.
5. Place the lamb presentation side down on the grill rods. Grill undisturbed for about 1 minute. (Optional: Give each skewer a quarter-turn to achieve grill marks.)
6. Turn the skewers over and complete cooking to the desired doneness, or a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F/65 degrees C.
7. Serve 3 or 4 skewers per person with 2 fl oz/60 mL of the chutney.
Makes 32 fl oz/960 mL
Combine all the ingredients, including the minced jalapeño, if using. Let the chutney rest in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours to allow the flavors to marry. Adjust seasoning before serving, if necessary, with additional lime juice, salt, or pepper.
This page created November 2011
Copyright © 1994-2017,