Makes 10 servings
1. Scrub, peel, and cut the potatoes into large pieces. Boil or steam them until tender enough to mash easily. Drain and dry them over low heat or on a sheet pan in a 300 degrees F/149 degrees C oven until no more steam rises from them, 10 to 15 minutes. Purée the hot potatoes through a food mill or potato ricer into a heated bowl.
2. Add 1 oz/28 g of the butter, the eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, if using. Mix well. Incorporate enough of the flour to make a stiff dough.
3. Roll the dough into cylinders about 1 in/3 cm in diameter and cut into pieces about 1 in/2.5 cm long. Shape the gnocchi with a gnocchi board or roll each one over the tines of a fork, pressing and rolling the dough with your thumb.
4. Cook the gnocchi in simmering salted water until they rise to the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Lift the gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon or drain well in a colander.
5. Heat the remaining butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the gnocchi, and toss until very hot and coated with butter. Add the cheese and parsley. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately on heated plates.
This page created November 2011
Copyright © 1994-2017,