Black Beans In Boo Bowls
- Super Fast
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Start to finish: 15 minutes
- 6 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 3 large oranges
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1/3 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1. Using small paring knife, make zigzag cut around center of each orange, cutting orange in half; pull halves apart. Using grapefruit spoon or small paring knife, remove orange segments; place in resealable food-storage plastic bag, and save for another use.
2. In 1-quart saucepan, heat beans and salsa over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until hot. Spoon bean mixture into orange shells.
3. Spoon about 1 tablespoon cheese on top of each. Place on microwavable plate; microwave on High 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
1 Serving: Calories 200; Total Fat 39 (Saturated Fat 1.5g; Trans Fat 09); Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 190mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 129); Protein 119; Exchanges: 1-1/2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Lean Meat; Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Kids will be intrigued with these tasty filled orange halves. Serve them for Halloween or any time you're in the mood for something fun. You can save the orange segments to serve for lunch the next day.
Pillsbury Fast and Healthy Meals for Kids
- by the Pillsbury Editors
- Wiley 2010
- $19.95; Hardcover; 192 pages
- ISBN-10: 0470647256
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-64725-7
- Reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created January 2011