Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert, Featuring Over 100 Simple Recipes by Eric Ripert includes recipes like Shrimp in Coconut Curry Sauce; Portobello "Fries" with Truffled Aïoli; and Cod Basquaise.
Portobello "Fries" with Truffled Aïoli
Thick strips of portobello mushrooms are breaded and fried to create a flavorful alternative to potato fries.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white truffle oil, approx.
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Canola oil for frying
Combine the yolks, lemon juice and garlic in a blender. With the blender on medium speed, drizzle the canola oil and olive oil into the yolk mixture in a slow steady stream until the aïoli is emulsified and well blended. Season with the truffle oil, salt and pepper. Transfer the aïoli to a small bowl and set aside.
Trim the stems from the mushrooms, scrape out the gills, and gently wipe the mushroom caps with a damp cloth. Cut the mushroom caps into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, pepper, salt and thyme in a shallow dish. Place the flour and eggs in separate shallow dishes. Toss the mushroom strips in the flour to coat evenly, then dip them into the eggs and roll them in the bread crumb mixture.
Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom strips in the hot oil and cook on all sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towels. Serve hot with the aïoli.
- A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert, Featuring Over 100 Simple Recipes
- by Eric Ripert
- Wiley 2010
- Hardcover; 304 pages; $34.95
- ISBN-10: 0470889357
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-88935-0
- Reprinted by permission.
Buy Avec Eric
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created January 2011