Panzanella, or "bread salad," is an Italian classic. Buy a firm-textured bread so the pieces don't become mushy.
Prep 20 min
Total 1 hr 20 min
- 4 cups cubed (1 inch) day-old Italian or other firm-textured bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. In large glass or plastic bowl, mix bread, tomatoes, garlic, bell pepper, basil and parsley.
2. In tightly covered container, shake remaining ingredients. Pour over bread mixture; toss gently until bread is evenly coated.
3. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour, but no longer than 8 hours, until bread is softened and flavors are blended. Toss before serving.
1 Serving: 190 calories; Total 139 grams fat (Saturated Fat 29; Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 340mg; Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 29); Protein 39 Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
Betty Crocker Cookbook, 11th Edition
1500 Recipes for the Way You Cook Today
- from the Betty Crocker Editors
- Wiley 2011
- Loose-Leaf Binder; $29.99; 686
- ISBN-10: 0470906022
- ISBN-13: 978-0470906026
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created December 2011