Prep 15 min
Total 1 hr 10 min.
1. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Cut bread crosswise into 12 (1-inch) slices. Cut a horizontal slit in the side of each bread slice, cutting to—but not through—the other edge.
2. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, preserves and lemon peel with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until well mixed. Spread about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese mixture inside the slit in each bread slice. Place stuffed bread slices in pan.
3. In medium bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg with fork or wire whisk until well mixed. Pour egg mixture over bread slices in pan, and turn slices carefully to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 24 hours.
4. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Uncover French toast; drizzle with butter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
1 Serving (2 Slices): Calories 310; Total Fat 169 (Saturated Fat 8g; Trans Fat 19); Cholesterol 145mg; Sodium 380mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 1 g); Protein 9g Exchange.: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 High-Fat Meat, 1-1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Need to add some dazzle to your breakfast table? These toppings can be served over Pancakes (page 86 of the book), French Toast (above) or Waffles (page 89). Move over maple syrup and butter!
1. Apple-Rum Butter: Beat 1/2 cup softened butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup Apple Butter (page 247, or purchased) and 1 teaspoon rum or 1/4 teaspoon rum extract to taste.
2. Blackberry-Lime Sauce: In small saucepan, combine 2 cups blackberries or raspberries, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. Simmer sauce for 10 to 15 minutes until berries break down and sauce slightly thickens; stir in 1 teaspoon grated lime peel.
3. Cherry and Granola Topping: Top with about 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt and 1/4 cup frozen (thawed) sweet cherries; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granola.
4. Maple Yogurt Topping with Candied Nuts and Bananas: Stir 1/3 cup real maple syrup into 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt; top pancakes or French toast with maple yogurt; sprinkle with purchased candied or regular walnuts or pecans and sliced bananas.
5. Red, White and Blueberries Topping: Melt 1/4 cup raspberry preserves in small saucepan; add about 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice. Serve sauce with pancakes or French toast, fresh blueberries and 1/2 cup creme fraîche or sour cream mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar.
6. Super Sundae Topping: Drizzle pancakes or French toast with warm Chocolate Sauce (page 234) or chocolate syrup; top with sliced bananas, fresh strawberries, chopped toasted pecans, Sweetened Whipped Cream (page 214) and a maraschino cherry.
This page created December 2011
Copyright © 1994-2018,