300 Best Taco Recipes, From Tantalizing Tacos to Authentic Tortillas, Sauces, Cocktails and Salsas by Kelley Cleary Coffeen includes recipes like Calabacitas Tacos; Pollo Piccata Tacos with Citrus Salsa; and Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles and Red Onion Relish.
Pollo Piccata Tacos
with Citrus Salsa
Makes 8 tacos
Lightly battered and sautéed, this chicken is bathed in a light, zesty sauce. The lemon and butter sauce gives this taco a well balanced zing. Adding the citrus salsa creates an unforgettable taco.
There are a variety of salad mixes with a wide range of flavors on the market. There are red and green lettuce varieties that range in taste from intense spice to sweet and mild. "Living" lettuce and" artisan" lettuce and greens are also available. Taste and compare to find your favorite combination of greens.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 1bs (750 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 8 6-inch (15 cm) corn tortillas, skillet-warmed (page 15 of the book)
- 2 cups (500 mL ) chopped salad mix (see Tip)
- Citrus Salsa (recipe below)
1. In a small bowl, beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the lemon juice. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast in egg mixture then dredge in flour. Discard any excess egg mixture and flour.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add chicken and lightly brown on both sides, about 6 minutes per side. Add chicken broth, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of lemon juice and hot pepper flakes. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut into thin slices.
3. To build tacos, divide chicken equally among tortillas. Top with salad mix and Citrus Salsa. Fold tortillas in half.
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
Citrus lovers will enjoy the freshness of this salsa spiked with chile. Jicama and mango add interesting textures and great flavor to chicken and fish tacos.
- 2 oranges, cut into chunks
- 1 lime, cut into chunks
- 1/2 grapefruit, cut into chunks
- 1/4 (60 mL) cup chopped jicama (see Tip, page 244 of the book)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) hot pepper flakes, divided
- 1 mango, diced
1. In a large bowl, combine oranges, lime, grapefruit, jicama and 1 tsp (5 mL) of the hot pepper flakes. Gently add mango and toss. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or for up to 2 hours. Taste for heat levels and add remaining pepper flakes before serving, if desired.
300 Best Taco Recipes:
From Tantalizing Tacos to Authentic Tortillas, Sauces, Cocktails and Salsas
- by Kelley Cleary Coffeen
- Robert Rose 2011
- Paperback; 368 Pages; 24.95 US 27.95 CAN
- ISBN-10: 0778802671
- ISBN-13: 9780778802679
- Reprinted by permission.
- Calabacitas Tacos
- Pollo Piccata Tacos with Citrus Salsa
- Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles and Red Onion Relish
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2011