300 Best Taco Recipes, From Tantalizing Tacos to Authentic Tortillas, Sauces, Cocktails and Salsas by Kelley Cleary Coffeen includes recipes like Calabacitas Tacos; Pollo Piccata Tacos with Citrus Salsa; and Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles and Red Onion Relish.
Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles
and Red Onion Relish
Makes 8 tacos
This is my version of a Cuban sandwich that became a favorite for workers in Cuban cigar factories. It makes a good layered taco that is mouthwatering!
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C)
8-inch (20 cm) square glass baking dish, greased
- 24 dill pickles, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 8 6- to 8-inch (15 to 20 cm) flour tortillas,
skillet-warmed(page 15 of the book)
- 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 mL) prepared mustard
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1 lb (500 g) grilled or roasted pork loin (see page 174), chopped
- 8 thin slices baked ham
1. In a small bowl, combine pickles and red onion.
2. To build tacos, spread one side of each tortilla with a thin layer of mustard and top with one slice of cheese. Divide pork and ham equally among tortillas and place on top of cheese. Top with pickle mixture. Fold tortillas in half.
3. Transfer tacos to prepared baking dish and arrange side by side. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and tacos are heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
300 Best Taco Recipes:
From Tantalizing Tacos to Authentic Tortillas, Sauces, Cocktails and Salsas
- by Kelley Cleary Coffeen
- Robert Rose 2011
- Paperback; 368 Pages; 24.95 US 27.95 CAN
- ISBN-10: 0778802671
- ISBN-13: 9780778802679
- Reprinted by permission.
- Calabacitas Tacos
- Pollo Piccata Tacos with Citrus Salsa
- Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles and Red Onion Relish
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2011