The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses by Richard A. Jones and Sharon Sweeney-Lynch includes excerpts & recipes like Honey Types and Descriptions; Curried Honey Sweet Potato Soup; and Honey Roast Ham.
The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes is complemented by roasting them with honey. Use a robust dark honey for roasting the potatoes and a light single-flower honey to drizzle over just before serving. The sweet potatoes can also be served as an accompaniment to roast meat or grilled fish, or added to winter salads.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place a heavy baking sheet in the middle of the oven to heat.
2. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the oil, the curry powder and dark honey, and stir to coat the sweet potato pieces.
3. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chile.
4. Spread the sweet potatoes and the flavored oil and spices on the hot baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
5. Turn the sweet potatoes once, cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until they are soft, then cool.
6. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet and add the onion; cook over low heat for 20 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
7. Transfer the cooked onion and the sweet potatoes, along with the sticky contents of the baking sheet, into a food processor and add half the stock. Process until well combined.
8. Add the remaining stock and the coconut milk, pulse again until smooth, and return the soup to a clean saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper and gently reheat the soup.
9. Serve in warmed bowls and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon yogurt, a pinch of chile powder, a grind of black pepper, and a drizzle of light honey.
This page created March 2011
Copyright © 1994-2017,