Modern Batch Cookery
by The Culinary Institute of America
Modern Batch Cookery, a complete guide to volume cooking for restaurants, caterers, hotels, and other large foodservice operations, offers up-to-date information with a focus on healthy cooking, nutrition, and smart menu planning.
Preparing healthy, high-quality food in volume is a challenge for even the most experienced foodservice professional. The recipes in Modern Batch Cookery are designed to yield 50 servings, and cover every meal part and occasion. The book delivers a refreshing repertoire of delectable dishes, including Gorgonzola and Pear Sandwiches, Tequila-Roasted Oysters with Salsa Cruda, Chesapeake-Style Crab Cakes, and many more.
As much as the modern culinary scene has evolved over recent years to feature bolder flavors and reflect a healthier and more daring sensibility, even greater changes are happening in the foodservice industry. Culinarians and foodservice operators have a much wider variety of options than ever before to meet their guests' increasingly high expectations for quality. New flavor profiles from global cuisines offer foodservice professionals more choices in menu planning, while new equipment and technology enable volume kitchens to serve high-quality foods that taste and look just as good as dishes prepared in top-flight � la carte kitchens.
Packed with helpful, beautiful, full-color photographs and vital information, Modern Batch Cookery brings the expertise of two of The Culinary Institute of America's Certified Master Chefs, Victor Gielisse and Ron DeSantis, into the volume kitchen with world-class guidance on creating enticing menus that will enthrall and intrigue even the most demanding guests.
- Features more than 200 healthy, nutritious, large-batch recipes
- Includes chapters on Stocks, Soups, and Sauces; Breakfast and Brunch; Salad Dressings, Salads, Sandwiches, Appetizers; Entrées; Side Dishes; Reception Foods; and Baked Goods and Desserts
- Provides pertinent information, including conversion charts and a glossary, as well as full-color photos of finished dishes that provide fresh ideas for plating and presentation
- Covers all the essentials of menu and recipe development
- The Culinary Professional—lays out duties, functions, stations, and mise en place in an efficient volume kitchen, as well as the professional and personal qualities that make an excellent chef.
- Menus and Recipes—explores menus as a marketing and informational tool and provides menu creation and planning guidelines, including strategies for developing healthy menu alternatives. Plating techniques and presentations are also covered, as well as food preparation strategies and standard equipment.
- The Importance of Flavor—offers a thorough review of flavors and flavor combinations, including the use of spices and sauces.
- Cooking Techniques—summarizes basic professional techniques appropriate for volume cooking, including how to hold food without losing texture, volume food safety, and procedures for cooling and reheating foods while maintaining their quality.
- Stocks, Soups, and Sauces for the Modern Batch Kitchen—covers the basic procedures for preparing stocks and soups as well as the grand sauces, demi-glace, compound butters, and more.
Modern Batch Cookery is a comprehensive resource for all culinarians and foodservice operators working in (but not limited to) resorts, hotels, college food service, health care, retirement communities, banquet facilities, country clubs, and on-site catering companies.
About the Author
Founded in 1946, The Culinary Institute of America is an independent, not-for-profit college offering bachelor's and associate degrees in culinary arts and baking and pastry arts, as well as certificate programs in culinary arts and wine and beverage studies. A network of more than 40,000 alumni has helped the CIA earn its reputation as the world's premier culinary college. The CIA, which also offers courses for industry professionals and food enthusiasts, has campuses in New York (Hyde Park), California (St. Helena), and Texas (San Antonio), as well as an additional location in Singapore.
- Modern Batch Cookery
- by The Culinary Institute of America
- Wiley 2011
- Hardcover; 448 pages; $65.00 US
- ISBN-10: 047029048X
- ISBN-13: 978-0470290484
- Information provided by the publisher.
Modern Batch Cookery
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created May 2011