The Spice Kitchen: Everyday Cooking with Organic Spices by Katie Luber and Sara Engram, includes recipes like Curry Spice Blend; Spice-Crusted Cheese Truffles; and Pepperoni Spinach Frittata.
Spice-Crusted Cheese Truffles
Makes 18 (1-inch) truffles
Cheese goes well with herbs and spices. Here are several variations of a basic cheese truffle, bite-size treats your guests will love.
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons finely minced white or yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 teaspoons ground mild chile pepper
Cream together the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, onion, Worcestershire, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roll the cheese into 1-inch-round balls. Roll each truffle in the chile pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
Variations: Substitute the following cheeses (for the cheddar) and spice (for the chile pepper) to create tasty Spice-Crusted Cheese Truffle variations:
- 1/2 cup shredded Havarti cheese and 5 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese and 5 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese and 5 teaspoons dried orange zest
- 1/4 cup crumbled chevre cheese and 5 teaspoons basil
The Spice Kitchen: Everyday Cooking with Organic Spices
- by Katie Luber and Sara Engram
- with Kimberly Toqe
- Andrews McMeel Publishing 2009
- $29.99 ($36.99 Canada); Hardcover; 208 pages
- ISBN-10: 0740779729
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7407-7972-5
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created February 2010