The New Book of Soups by The Culinary Institute of America, includes recipes like Chicken Broth; Paraguayan Dumpling Soup (Bori-Bori); Minguichi (Michoacàn Chile and Cheese Soup); and Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken, Noodle, and Potato Soup).
(Michoacàn Chile and Cheese Soup)
Makes 6 servings
This soup is perfect at the end of summer when the tomatoes and corn are at their best, but it's just as flavorful in the winter, and even quicker to make from canned tomatoes and frozen corn. If you wish, you can stir the cheese into the entire pot of soup just before you serve it, but we like the way the heat of the soup melts the cheese while you eat it.
- 3 cups seeded and quartered plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 cups minced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 roasted poblano chiles, peeled, seeded, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 5 oz queso manchego or Muenster
Poblano chiles can be easily roasted over a grill or a gas burner, or under the broiler. You can find complete instructions for roasting and seeding chiles on page 38 of the book.
1. Purée the tomatoes through a food mill or in a blender and reserve.
2. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter and melt it. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the corn and sauté until heated through, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Add the puréed tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the broth and continue to simmer until the corn is tender and the soup is flavorful, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the roasted poblano strips and simmer until they flavor the soup, about 5 minutes. Add the milk and cream and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the soup from the heat. Divide the cheese equally between 6 warmed soup bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the cheese and serve at once.
The New Book of Soups
- by The Culinary Institute of America
- Lebhar-Friedman 2009
- $35.00; hardcover; 256 pages
- ISBN-10: 0867308605
- ISBN: 978-0-86730-860-0
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Chicken Broth
- Paraguayan Dumpling Soup (Bori-Bori)
- Minguichi (Michoacàn Chile and Cheese Soup)
- Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken, Noodle, and Potato Soup)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created February 2010