Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking by Laurent Tourondel with Charlotte March includes recipes like Partridge Barbajuans; Roasted Pheasant with Braised Cabbage & Chestnuts; Pistachio-Crusted Venison with Caramelized Quince & Red Cabbage; and Crispy Octopus & Cranberry Bean Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette.
Fresh from the Market:
by Laurent Tourondel with Charlotte March
Eating seasonally and locally has always been a way of life for Chef Laurent Tourondel. Growing up in central France, each meal that his family shared was based on what was available at their neighborhood market or in their backyard garden. In Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking, Chef Laurent Tourondel presents a collection of more than 160 recipes from Tourondel's childhood in France, his early career as a globetrotting chef, and straight from the menu at BLT Market, his restaurant in New York City. All are based on the seasonal, market-driven cooking philosophy that has made him one of America's most successful chefs and restaurateurs.
Organized by season, this sumptuously photographed cookbook covers cocktails, appetizers, soups, salads, main dishes, and desserts. Chef Tourondel uses the freshest seasonal ingredients and highlights their flavors with simple cooking techniques. Whether cooking with fava beans in spring, littleneck clams in summer, butternut squash in fall, or Meyer lemons in winter, Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking shows home cooks how to create incredible dishes from each season's glorious bounty.
More than just a restaurant cookbook, Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking includes wine and beer pairings, seasonality charts, and profiles of local purveyors. Chef Tourondel has also created complete menus for special occasions, like an autumn wine harvest dinner, Mother's Day brunch or Fourth of July picnic.
Tourondel's respect for the seasons is brought to life in the magical combinations he's crafted for this book. Just a few of the seasonal recipes found within include:
- Spring: The clean Asian flavors in Halibut en Papillote with Fava Beans and Green Garlic are terrific and uncomplicated, just like the cooking method. These packets can be made a few hours in advance, making them the ideal choice for entertaining. For dessert, try Mammy Louisette's Ginger-Rhubarb Tart with Vermont Double Cream Ice Cream—inspired by Tourondel's grandmothers recipe.
- Summer: In the heat of the summer, Tourondel turns to easy, straightforward recipes that use quick-cooking methods, like Grilled Littleneck Clam & Bacon Pizzettas, topped with creamy cows-milk cheese, and served with a crisp white wine like a Pinot Blanc.
- Fall: As the weather turns brisk, heartier recipes are in order —like Stuffed Amish Chicken Bourgeoise, made with rich ingredients like butter, wild mushrooms, foie gras and chestnuts. Tourondel also shares his recipe for Pigs in a Blanket "Ritz Carlton," offering a French twist on an American Classic.
- Winter: There is still an abundance of winter produce to be enjoyed, with root vegetables and hearty greens featuring prominently in recipes like Roasted Berkshire Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Salsify, Apple, Brussels Sprouts & Apple Cider Jus.
With the explosion of farmer's markets and CSA programs, Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking will not only appeal to fans of BLT Market and Chef Tourondel's other restaurants, but to devoted locavores looking to add sophistication to their tables.
About the Author
Laurent Tourondel created the popular BLT Restaurants (Bistro Laurent Tourondel). Chef Tourondel continues to oversee operations for restaurants around the world in destinations such as New York, Miami, Las Vegas, Scottsdale, Atlanta, Charlotte, Honolulu, and Hong Kong. Chef Tourondel was named Bon Appétit's Restaurateur of the Year in 2007 and has worked at Relais & Châteaux's La Maison Troisgros in France and at Cello in New York City. He is also the author of two other cookbooks, Bistro Laurent Tourondel and Go Fish, both from Wiley.
- Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking
- by Laurent Tourondel with Charlotte March
- Wiley 2010
- Hardcover; 336 pages; $35.00
- ISBN-10: 0470402423
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-40242-9
- Information provided by the publisher.
Fresh from the Market: Seasonal Cooking
- Partridge Barbajuans
- Roasted Pheasant with Braised Cabbage & Chestnuts
- Pistachio-Crusted Venison with Caramelized Quince & Red Cabbage
- Crispy Octopus & Cranberry Bean Salad
with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created November 2010