with Whiskey Cream Sauce
Makes 2 servings
While Marlboro Man and the cowboys generally prefer their steaks unadorned, I love mine with flavorful sauces and savory toppings. I'm always searching for delicious new ways to decorate my steak, and this sauce—an extra rich combination of whiskey and cream—is one of my all-time favorites. With a side of simple roasted potato wedges, this is about as good as it gets.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons diced onion
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup beef stock or broth
- Dash of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 2 rib-eye steaks
1. Begin by melting 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook until brown, about 4 minutes.
2. When the onion is brown, turn off the burner temporarily so you won't ignite your kitchen or yourself.
3. Pour in the whiskey.
4. As soon as the whiskey evaporates, turn the burner on medium and pour in the beef stock or broth.
5. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Now, whisk in another tablespoon of butter.
7. Allow the mixture to bubble for 30 seconds, then reduce the heat to low.
8. Over low heat pour in the cream.
9. Whisk, adding more cream if the mixture looks too brothy.
10. Allow to simmer on very low heat while you prepare the steaks. Stir occasionally.
11. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Generously salt and pepper the steak on both sides, then add it to the hot skillet.
12. For medium rare, cook for 2 minutes on each side for a thin steak, or 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a thick steak. Place the steak on a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the other steak.
(Feel free to cook both steaks at once in the same skillet, if you prefer.)
13. Spoon the sauce over the steak ... and don't skimp! You want to taste the deliciousness.
14. Mmmmm. It doesn't get much better than this.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't eat the leftover sauce by the spoonful. I'm just being honest here.
The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
- by Ree Drummond
- William Morrow Cookbooks 2009
- Hardcover; $27.50; 256 pages
- ISBN-10: 0061658197
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-19753-0
- Reprinted bypermission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created April 2010