Better Homes and Gardens®
New Cook Book, 15th Edition includes excerpts and recipes like Bakeware; Roasted Fennel and Onions; Braised Fennel with Dill; Pesto-Stuffed Pork Chops; and Vermicelli with Sausage and Spinach.
Vermicelli with Sausage and Spinach
- Start to finish: 25 minutes
- Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound cooked smoked sausage,
halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces packaged dried vermicelli or angel hair pasta, broken in half
- 1 9-ounce package fresh prewashed baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook sausage, onion, and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat until sausage is lightly browned and onion is tender.
2. Add broth and water to Dutch oven; bring to boiling. Add pasta; cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach and pepper; cook about 1 minute more or until spinach wilts. Stir in cream. Serve immediately.
Per 1-3/4 cups, 689 cal., 43 g total fat (16 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 97 mg chol., 1,470 mg sodium, 50 g carbo., 4 g fiber, 26 g pro. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 3 Starch, 2 High-Fat Meat, 5 Fat
Love Those Leftovers
These tips will transform one night's extras into a fresh meal.
- Cook up a pasta. Use the recipe above as a guideline, omitting the smoked sausage. Stir in reheated leftover cooked meat when you add the spinach.
- Toss up a salad. Add roasted meat to fresh lettuces, vegetables, a sprinkling of cheese, and your favorite salad dressing.
- Stir up a soup. Cook pasta in beef or chicken broth until tender, adding frozen vegetables the last few minutes of cooking time. Add leftover meat; heat through.
- Fashion some French bread sandwiches. Sliced lengthwise, the long loaves are great for piling with leftover meat and topping with cheeses. Run under the broiler for terrifically tasty open-face sandwiches.
Better Homes and Gardens® New Cook Book, 15th Edition
- by Better Homes and Gardens
- Wiley 2010
- Hardcover (Binder); $29.95; 660 pages
- ISBN-10: 0470556862
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-55686-31
- Reprinted by permission.
- Roasted Fennel and Onions
- Braised Fennel with Dill
- Pesto-Stuffed Pork Chops
- Vermicelli with Sausage and Spinach
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created October 2010